- This event has passed.
THE BENTWAY and NEW MUSEUM (NY) present IDEASCITY TORONTO
September 15 @ 12:00 pm - 10:00 pmFree
A Day-Long Program of Conversations and Events, Exploring the Cultural Forces that Connect and Shape the Communities of Toronto
The Bentway, in collaboration with the New Museum (NY), present IdeasCity Toronto, a collaborative, civic platform with cultural innovators, creative practitioners, and other instigators. Free and accessible, IdeasCity Toronto will take place on Saturday, September 15, 2018 at the newly opened Strachan Gate at The Bentway.
IdeasCity, the New Museum’s civic platform that explores the future of cities with art and culture as a driving force, initiates a new cycle of programs with IdeasCity Toronto, centered on the theme of Toronto as a “City of Cities.” The day-long exploration of strategies, ideas, and propositions will feature panel discussions, keynote lectures, workshops, conversations, and performances. Featured participants include Rick Lowe, Sharifa Rhodes-Pitts, Adrienne Clarkson, Simone Browne, Anne Michaels, RISE Edutainment, Vanessa Brazeau, Former Mayor David Crombie, and emerging artists and community leaders from Toronto.
IdeasCity Toronto will host conversations and interactive workshops on building access and equity within the Toronto arts community in collaboration with local and international partner organizations including the Betty Yu of the Chinatown Art Brigade (NYC), Myseum of Toronto (Toronto), and Colloqate Design (New Orleans). The day wraps up with a hip-hop sing-a-long with Supafrik and hosted by Master T and Michie Mee.
The one-day event will also include a pitch session of bold ideas, designs, and strategies for shaping the future of Toronto. Successful applicants will present their projects to the public, and will be awarded the opportunity to run a coached crowdfunding campaign through Patronicity, a grant-platform dedicated to community initiatives.
IdeasCity Toronto Schedule
Saturday, September 15th
12:00-12:30 PM “The Solution Mat”
Performance by Vanessa Brazeau with Central Toronto Wrestling Club
12:30-1:00 PM Opening Remarks and Introduction
By IdeasCity & The Bentway, Land Acknowledgment by Philip Cote and Welcome by Hon. David Crombie
1:00-2:00 PM “City of Cities”
A panel discussion on design and identity in the amalgamated city with Simone Browne, the Rt. Hon. Adrienne Clarkson, and Sylvia McAdam Saysewahum, moderated by V. Mitch McEwen
2:00-4:00 PM Workshops: Strategies for the City
A series of participatory workshops on urban and suburban, long and short-term strategies for the city.
- “Creative Strategies for Placekeeping and Anti-Gentrification Organizing” with Betty Yu of Chinatown Art Brigade (Strachan Amphitheatre)
- “Designing Inclusivity: Creating Strategies For Removing Barriers” with Nadine Villasin and Josh Dyer of Myseum of Toronto (Wrestling Mat)
- “The IdeasCity Toronto Junior Media Team” presented by Design Exchange (Information Tent)
- “Design as Protest: Form follows Fiction” with Bryan C. Lee of Colloqate Design Workshop (Strachan Deck)
- An associated Q&A with The Samara Centre for Democracy
4:00-4:30 PM Poetry Performance
Spoken Word Slam curated by R.I.S.E. Edutainment in collaboration with Anne Michaels, Toronto’s poet laureate
4:30-6:00 PM “Pitches for Toronto”
Presentations of six bold visions for the future city by local and international groups and thought leaders
Jury: Ken Greenberg, Sara Diamond, V. Mitch McEwen, Adil Dhalla, Vere van Gool
- Anda – Anda Artist’s Residencies: Creating temporary artist residencies out of transitional development spaces.
- ARTNOIR – The Weekend: Advocating for the cultural equity of the Afro-Caribbean creative community with a weekend of activities.
- Arts Etobicoke – Invisible Narratives: Transforming Village of Islington murals into a more inclusive and historically-correct community arts experience through augmented reality.
- Urban Dock – Urban Dock: Creating a linear public space on a 100m segment of the existing breakwall between the Humber River and Marilyn Bell Park.
- Babel – Using Toronto’s Extensive Library Network to Foster Urban Equilibrium: Digitally uniting the city through the public library system.
- Sinead Petrasek – Toronto Versus: Exhibiting the history of social movements in Toronto in the 1980s and 1990s through to the present.
Break for food and drinks
6:30-7:30 PM Keynote Address
Rick Lowe in conversation with Sharifa Rhodes-Pitts
7:30-8:00 PM Closing Remarks
8:00-9:00 PM The Greatest T-Dot Hip-Hop Music Video Rap Along
Interactive film celebrating 20 years of Toronto’s music culture, curated by Supafrik and hosted by Master T and Michie Mee
DJ set, food and drinks
Sunday, September 16th
Affiliated Event: Toronto Islands Bike Tour with Art Spin
Our exploration of the City of Cities continues as we join our friends from Art Spin on their curated bike tour of the Toronto Islands. Through a series of site-specific art performances, music, dance, and installations audiences will be given a view into a unique community that, much like the other neighbourhoods in the Six, has a strong identity of is own and contributes to Toronto’s larger understanding of itself. The tour will also explore the city’s connection to the waterfront and the role it plays as a common connector between neighbourhoods.
More information and tickets can be found here.
Lead media partner
Additional media partners